What is the Oxnard Crime Free Multi-Housing Program?
This program is designed to help owners, managers and tenants of rental properties keep drugs and other illegal activities off their properties. The program uses a unique three-part approach which includes:
Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
The Crime Free Multi-Housing Program is a, state-of-the-art, crime prevention program designed to reduce crime, drugs, and gangs on apartment properties. This program was successfully developed at the Mesa Arizona Police Department in 1992. The International Crime Free Multi-Housing Program have spread to nearly 2,000 cities in 44 U.S. states, 5 Canadian Provinces, Mexico, England, Finland, Japan, Russia, Malaysia, Nigeria, Afghanistan, and Puerto Rico. Australia has expressed interest in adopting the program.
The program consists of three phases that must be completed under the supervision of the local police department. Property managers can become individually certified after completing training in each phase and the property becomes certified upon successful completion of all three phases.
The anticipated benefits are reduced police calls for service, a more stable resident base, and reduced exposure to civil liability.
Phase I – Management Training (8-Hours) Taught by the Police
- Crime Prevention Theory
- CPTED Theory (Physical Security)
- Benefits of Resident Screening
- Lease Agreements and Eviction Issues
- Crime Free Lease Addendum
- Key Control and Master Key Use
- On-Going Security Management Monitoring and Responding to Criminal Activity
- Gangs, Drugs Activity, and Crime Prevention
- Legal Warnings, Notices & Evictions Working Smarter With the Police Fire and Life Safety Training Community Awareness
A 100-page resource manual is supplied with additional handouts.
Phase II – CPTED – Survey by the Police
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Survey (CPTED)
- Minimum door, window and lock standards compliance inspection
- Minimum exterior lighting standards evaluation
- Key Control procedures evaluation
- Landscape maintenance standards compliance
Phase III – Community Awareness Training
- Annual crime prevention social taught by property management and police
- Community awareness and continuous participation is encouraged
Full certification (gold certificate) permits the right to post the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program sign and advertise membership in the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program in the print media using the official logo. This certificate expires every year unless renewed following compliance with Phases I & II.
What Will I Learn?
Prevention and Applicant Screening
- Benefits of applicant screening
- Tips to strengthen rental agreements
- How to become a pro-active manager
- Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
Drug Nuisance Abatement
- Warning signs of drug activity
- Actions you must take if you discover your tenants or their guests are conducting illegal activities on or about your property.
- The role of the police
- Crisis resolution and the eviction process
What Are the Benefits?
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base
- Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for proactive management
- Lower maintenance and repair costs
- Increased property values
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords and managers
- Peace of mind that comes from spending more time on routine management and less time on crisis control.
- More appreciative neighbors
Will It Work?
Law enforcement agencies are implementing this program nationwide. The Oxnard City Council, city manager and police department have all given it their full backing of this program.
This voluntary program was designed to assist you in obtaining and maintaining a safe and tranquil quality of life for you and your tenants.
What Will It Cost?
Oxnard is offering this training, certification and program signs free!
How do I Get Involved?
For information or questions about the program, please contact Detective Crystal Walker at 805.385.7668 or via email at Crystal.Walker@oxnardpd.org.